Tuesday, September 29, 2009

After Ghandi

I'm not sure how it happened, but I never learned about the April arrival of Annie Sibley O'Brien's newest book - After Ghandi : One Hundred Years of Nonviolent Resistance .  We just got it from the Library and it is beautiful - I have one on order, it is a keeper!   The book contains bibliographic information about peacemakers around the world - many that I knew a little about, and many that I had not heard of (which pains me).  I always am glad to be able to introduce my kids to examples of "good guys" and ways that people are able to "be the ones we want to see in the world."  Nevertheless, I also know that I do not exhibit the courage and clarity that these activists do, nor would I always be able to encourage my own children to sacrifice or risk their own safety, despite my knowing that we will all be safer in the long run if we establish social justice and peace.  So, these chapters are great for reading aloud and really talking through -- not to put activists on a pedestal but to prompt us to think through when and where and how we each might contribute to creating an inclusive, fair and vibrant community, and what to do when we lack the inner or outer resources we might wish for. 

The publisher, Charlesbridge also offers these links:

  • Visit the After Gandhi website, featuring downloadables, excerpts, and more. Join the Pass the Peace campaign!  There are extension activities for teachers and parents to use, as well as material for kids. 

    Learn more about After Gandhi, Anne Sibley O'Brien, and Perry Edmond O'Brien at After Gandhi.com

  • Watch the video trailer of After Gandhi
  • Listen to an interview with author Anne Sibley O'Brien at Maine Public Broadcasting

  • Annie also offers a blog that features book reviews, ponderings, and interviews-with-authors, focusing on "race, culture and children's books"

    and Charlesbridge publishes many other wonderful books AND resources for educators using them -- here is their list of books that emphasizes global cultures and diversity. 

    No comments: